Preventing Identity Theft
In the ongoing effort to prevent identity theft, we offer the following recommendations:
- In the event that your SHAZAMChek® or ATM card is lost, stolen, or you suspect identity theft, contact Guaranty Bank at 319-286-6200 or 800-383-8000 after regular business hours
- Check your credit report annually
- Review each line item on your bills and statements each time you receive them
- Guard your mail and trash from theft. An easy way to do this is by shredding items containing personal identifying information
- Use extreme caution when giving out personal information. Guaranty Bank will never call you or e-mail you asking you to verify the info you have already provided us
- Copy all the contents of your wallet or purse and keep those copies in a safe location
- Report lost or stolen checks or credit cards immediately
In short, if a deal sounds even potentially too good to be true, it probably is. A common current scam is for unsuspecting consumers to be sent a real-looking check with a request to wire money to the check sender in return. For more information, visit www.fakechecks.org.
For additional information, you may call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline at 877-IDTHEFT (877-438-4338) or visit their website at www.consumer.gov/idtheft. Visa also offers tips on preventing fraud and ATM safety at www.usa.visa.com/personal/security.